Re: [Q] Want good coding standards document and tool

Derek M Jones <>
15 Jul 1996 11:44:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[Q] Want good coding standards document and tool (C++ Freak) (1996-07-13)
Re: [Q] Want good coding standards document and tool (Derek M Jones) (1996-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Derek M Jones <>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.compilers
Date: 15 Jul 1996 11:44:05 -0400

All, "C++ Freak" writes:

> I am looking for a tool on enforcing C/C++ company coding standards.

Check out our web page.

> The tool should:
> - restyle formatting / indentation

This is the job of an indentation tool, not a checking tool. Check out
gnu indent.

> - parse on functions, static and global variables, classes and structures

I don't understand this requirement.

> - work like a C prepeocessor which allows redefining tokens)

A standards enforcing tool has to parse the source. This invariably
involves a preprocessor.

I suspect that, like most people, your requirements for a coding
standard are confused.

Although a little dated you might like to check out the books by Tom
Plum (the "C++ Programming Guidelines" book may have been updated from
my 1991 edition).

Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd email: