Automating COBOL source code changes

Jules Gilbert <coffee@ici.net>
13 Jul 1996 22:09:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Automating COBOL source code changes coffee@ici.net (Jules Gilbert) (1996-07-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jules Gilbert <coffee@ici.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Jul 1996 22:09:41 -0400

At ftp.worcester.com (which is 207.60.25.1), I have placed an MS-DOS
and Linux executable for making systematic source code enhancements
and alterations to COBOL and COBOL related languages, such as DB/2 and
CICS imbedded in COBOL.

This program employs expert-system based rules to make changes, and is
not an editor based system. The program exists as share-ware and
upgrades are available to increase functionality.

The share-ware version does not provide any provision for writing
rules, so each rule must be hand-written by the maintainer. The
marketed version has no such limitation, and using simple examples
TAKEN FROM PROGRAMS WHICH MUST BE ALTERED, rules can be derived and
applied to COBOL using the supplied rules compiler.

With this technology, it is very easy to build programs which correct
source code with YEAR-2000 problems.

If you fetch this program, please let me know what you think. It's free.

The program is at 207.60.25.1 in sub-dir '/guest/jules/apprentice/cobol').

An alias for 207.60.25.1 is ftp.worcester.com

Thank you,
Jules Gilbert
coffee@ici.net

PS: I have this same technology for PL/1, by the way. Contact me if you are
          interested.