Re: Impact of large yacc grammar on optimizations

genew@mindlink.bc.ca (Gene Wirchenko)
30 Jun 1996 16:45:03 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Impact of large yacc grammar on optimizations colm@well.com (1996-06-26)
Re: Impact of large yacc grammar on optimizations genew@mindlink.bc.ca (1996-06-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: genew@mindlink.bc.ca (Gene Wirchenko)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jun 1996 16:45:03 -0400

colm@well.com (Colm McHugh) wrote:

>I have a question about what C compiler optimizations get lost when
>compiling an enormous piece of code.

>For example, I have a large yacc grammar with a lot of actions, and
>yacc produces a yyparse function that is 10626 lines, with a switch
>statement that is 10204 lines long, and has 986 cases.

          I do not have a copy of the Standard, but have seen posts in C
newsgroups claiming that the number of cases required to be handled by
a compiler is rather lower than 986. You may wish to consult both the
Standard and your compiler's documentation with regard to their
maximums.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
[Good point -- the standard only requires compilers to accept 257 case
labels. -John]