Re: Chomsky language hierarchy & Compiler Development (Mark A Biggar)
30 Jun 1996 16:37:47 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Chomsky language hierarchy & Compiler Development (1996-06-21)
Re: Chomsky language hierarchy & Compiler Development (1996-06-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Mark A Biggar)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Jun 1996 16:37:47 -0400
>which *directly connect* Noam Chomsky's language hierarchy to
>modern compiler development, as I've been told that

Just remember that the Chomsky langauge hierarchy is incomplete
and doesn't include some easy to define language classes.

The Chomsky Hierarchy goes:

Context Free
Context Sensitive

Where each class is a proper subset of the language classes below it.
But this leave out such nice langauge classes as Index Languages
(which fit right in between CF and CS languages), or a more interesting
example grep/perl like "regular expressions with back references" which
are a proper superset of the regular langauges but also includes proper
subsets of both the CF and CS languages.

Mark Biggar