Commercial compiler constructed via generator?

jjyang@csie.nctu.edu.tw (Ji-Tzay Yang)
27 Jun 1996 11:43:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Commercial compiler constructed via generator? jjyang@csie.nctu.edu.tw (1996-06-27)
Re: Commercial compiler constructed via generator? rob@ace.nl (Rob Kurver) (1996-06-30)
Re: Commercial compiler constructed via generator? p.froehlich@amc.cube.net (1996-07-10)
Re: Commercial compiler constructed via generator? CSPT@giraffe.ru.ac.za (Pat Terry) (1996-07-13)
Re: Commercial compiler constructed via generator? canalda@palinka.inria.fr (1996-07-13)
Re: Commercial compiler constructed via generator? farzu@kirika.uvg.edu.gt (Francisco Arzu) (1996-07-13)
Re: Commercial compiler constructed via generator? edcjones@access2.digex.net (1996-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: jjyang@csie.nctu.edu.tw (Ji-Tzay Yang)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Jun 1996 11:43:24 -0400

Recently we are surveying the feasibility/efficiency of
constructing compilers from compiler generators. Are there
commercial compilers in which some stages are done by compiler
generators? Or are there successful compilers made by compiler
generator?

After hours of overview on the source code of gcc, we find some
.c files are made from simple specification files when compiling
gcc. Does this imply only part of the compiler construction
stages is suitable for using generator, and some part still need
hand-coded source?

The problem is: Are there examples showing that a well-designed
compiler generator doing better than hand-coded program in
average during some compiler construction stages?

--
      /////// Ji-Tzay Yang, //////// jjyang@csie.nctu.edu.tw ///)
    ////// Distributed Software System Lab, CSIE, NCTU, Taiwan ///////