Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture.

dennis@netcom.com (Dennis Yelle)
26 Jun 1996 11:36:37 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. mgcd@QSof01.alcbel.be (1996-06-24)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. kanze@lts.sel.alcatel.de (1996-06-24)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. dennis@netcom.com (1996-06-26)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. khays@sequent.com (1996-06-26)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. bill.williams@gecm.com (1996-06-27)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-06-30)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. paik@3dfx.com (1996-07-01)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (1996-07-01)
Re: GNU gcc/g++ with 386 segmented architecture. brian@watcom.on.ca (1996-07-01)

From: dennis@netcom.com (Dennis Yelle)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jun 1996 11:36:37 -0400

mgcd@QSof01.alcbel.be (Martin G C Davies) writes:
>The delivered GNU gcc/g++ 386 support only works in a flat architecure i.e.
>pointers are 32bit (just a base/index/offset) so DS is always used as the
>segment.
>
>I would like gcc and g++ on an Intel 386 but with a segmented architecture
>i.e. pointers are 48 bits (a segment (DS/ES/FS/GS) and a base/index/offset).

Please tell us why you want to do this.
Do you have more than 4GB that you want to point at?

[...]
>[GCC believes very strongly that its target machine has a flat address space.
>It may be doable, but it'd be a huge project. I've never seen a C compiler
>that did 386 large model. Are there any? -John]

A guy from Meta-Ware gave a talk at least once in which he claimed that
their C compiler had 48 bit pointers (as well as 32 bit pointers). This was
many years ago, but I suppose that once it is in, and shipping to customers,
they would not be likely to take it out.

--
dennis@netcom.com (Dennis Yelle)
[The Intel architecture doesn't handle more than 4GB, segments or no, because