LL vs LR languages (not grammars)

platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (A Johnstone)
24 Jun 1996 15:03:30 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LL vs LR languages (not grammars) platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (1996-06-24)
Re: LL vs LR languages (not grammars) leichter@smarts.com (Jerry Leichter) (1996-06-26)
Re: LL vs LR languages (not grammars) ikastan@alumnae.caltech.edu (1996-06-30)
Re: LL vs LR languages (not grammars) fjh@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1996-06-30)
Re: LL vs LR languages (not grammars) schoebel@minnie.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (1996-07-01)
Re: LL vs LR languages (not grammars) ikastan@alumnae.caltech.edu (1996-07-01)
Re: LL vs LR languages (not grammars) ikastan@alumnae.caltech.edu (1996-07-02)

From: platon!adrian@uunet.uu.net (A Johnstone)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 24 Jun 1996 15:03:30 -0400

We're looking at top down vs bottom up parsers with infinite
lookahead. Everybody knows that LL(1) grammars are more restrictive
than LR(1) grammars, but are there any _languages_ which are
inherently LR and not LL(oo)? (LL with infinite lookahead, ie LL(k)
with k = oo.) Note that I am assuming (1) that infinite lookahead is
available, so that LL problems associated with left factorisation are
done away with, and that algorithms to remove (2) epsilon productions
and (3) left recursion are also applied to the grammar. Under these
assumptions, is top down as powerful as bottom up? We seem to have
managed to convince ourselves that for every language described by an
LR grammar there is a grammar without left recursion that describes the
same language.

                                                    Adrian
--
    Dr Adrian Johnstone, Dean of the Science Faculty, Dept of Computer Science,
        Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.