Re: Gentle compiler construction system

ugrude@tfh-berlin.de (Prof. Dr. U. Grude)
24 Jun 1996 11:04:42 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Gentle Compiler Construction System edcjones@access2.digex.net (1996-06-21)
Re: Gentle compiler construction system ugrude@tfh-berlin.de (1996-06-24)
Gentle, correction of previous mail ugrude@tfh-berlin.de (1996-06-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: ugrude@tfh-berlin.de (Prof. Dr. U. Grude)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jun 1996 11:04:42 -0400

>What do you think of the Gentle compiler construction system?
>It can be found at "http://www.first.gmd.de/gentle/". Is there any
>documentation beyond what is found at web site above?

I have used the Gentle system for more then 2 years to teach compiler
construction at the Technische Fachhochschule (TFH) Berlin (a college
somewhat like a polytech) and in my opinion Gentle is a major step forward
in the field of compiler construction. It combines a very clear and "clean"
theoretical base with very efficient programming.

Documentation on Gentle is (still) not very abundant. I have written an
Introduction To Gentle for my students a the TFH, about 100 pages, including
about 20 toy compilers to illustrate various aspects of the Gentle system.
But this introduction is in German, only the examples are written in Gentle.
You can find a link to this introduction on the web under

http:/www.tfh-berlin.de/usr1/ang/bruentru/public.html

If there is enough interest I may write a new version of this introduction
in English.

Gentle is a great idea and a practical tool and I would like to see it
widely tried and used. Yours sincerely

Ulrich Grude (e-mail: grude@tfh-berlin.de)