Re: Transformations of pointer parameters in C

Derek M Jones <>
26 May 1996 00:00:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Transformations of pointer parameters in C (1996-05-24)
Re: Transformations of pointer parameters in C (Derek M Jones) (1996-05-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Derek M Jones <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c
Date: 26 May 1996 00:00:35 -0400

> I want to do a transformation of C-programs to eliminate some
> pointers. As C has no reference parameters, they are often emulated
> like this:
> Has anybody done something like that before? (Of course, you can think
> of more complicated examples, where the actual argument is a
> pointer...)

About 6 years ago we translated C to a language that had no pointers (it
was a language used in the Malpas formal analysis toolkit).

It was done by replacing pointer references by a list of symbolic names
used to represent things that the pointer might point at. The
analysis was only done on a single file at a time, but suprisingly
good results were acheived.

Check out for a bit more info (this paper
discusses translating C to Ada).

Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd email: