Re: UNCOL

Patrick Logan <patrick_d_logan@ccm.hf.intel.com>
26 May 1996 00:00:13 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ kik@zia.cray.com (1996-05-08)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ rfg@monkeys.com (1996-05-19)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ pardo@cs.washington.edu (1996-05-19)
Re: UNCOL pardo@cs.washington.edu (1996-05-21)
Re: UNCOL patrick_d_logan@ccm.hf.intel.com (Patrick Logan) (1996-05-26)
Re: UNCOL dmason@scs.ryerson.ca (1996-06-08)
Re: UNCOL dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-06-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Patrick Logan <patrick_d_logan@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 May 1996 00:00:13 -0400

John Levine (the moderator) wrote:
>[UNCOL-ish systems seem to work OK if you have a single source
> language, e.g. Smalltalk, or a single target, e.g. multiple compilers
> sharing a back end. It's when you try NxM that you get heat death.]

>> To summarize, UNCOL is a hard problem; subsets are easier to solve; and
>> it is hard to provide both high efficiency and, at the same time, a
>> convincing argument that successful translation on one platform will
>> imply successful translation on other platforms.

Didn't Guy Steele suggest Scheme as a suitable UNCOL-substitute
almost twenty years ago?

And who was it at Yale almost ten years ago who developed a decent
UNCOL-substitute for a PhD? (It was a student of Paul Hudak I think.)

Could it be that MxN UNCOLs/IRs are difficult because of the level
of abstraction?

--
mailto:Patrick_D_Logan@ccm.hf.intel.com
[Partly, but from what I've seen it's the details that kill you. -John]