Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++

Drinie@xs4all.nl (Rinie Kervel)
10 May 1996 01:35:22 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ brauch@hpp.stanford.edu (Rupert Brauch) (1996-05-06)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ kik@zia.cray.com (1996-05-08)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ billms@nixon.icsl.ucla.edu (1996-05-08)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ sal714@rs710.gsfc.nasa.gov (1996-05-08)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ bnm@indica.bbt.com (1996-05-10)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ mbk@caffeine.engr.utk.edu (1996-05-10)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ Drinie@xs4all.nl (1996-05-10)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ dean@psy.uq.oz.au (1996-05-10)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ khays@sequent.com (1996-05-13)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ genew@mindlink.bc.ca (1996-05-13)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ pardo@cs.washington.edu (1996-05-14)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ dmoisan@shore.net (1996-05-14)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ rfg@monkeys.com (1996-05-19)

From: Drinie@xs4all.nl (Rinie Kervel)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java,comp.lang.c++,comp.compilers
Date: 10 May 1996 01:35:22 -0400

tmb@best.com (Thomas Breuel) writes:

> Yes, it could support safe pointer arithmetic. However, that really
> isn't necessary. Correct, portable C/C++ code can be executed
> reasonably efficiently within the current JavaVM. However, building
> compilers for that is tricky.

I don't see how you can support STL without pointer arithmetic.
Besides the pointer arithmetic the java VM seems very regular as a
target language as compared to say, 80486 code, so I don't see why it
should be tricky.

> More likely, you are going to see conversion tools that will do 95%
> of the job. The places where they give up are likely to be places
> in the C/C++ code that needed attention anyway.

Again pointer arithmetic and STL are perfectly acceptable, standard C
code. Just because the C-family are about the only languages to
support the notion of p++ for 'next array element' and so on, doesn't
make this a bad feature.

The thing I like about C++ is that includes almost every C feature,
resisting the temptation to remove 'bad' features. This way you can
extend old code with new features. With Java the wheel has to be
invented again. I would like Java to see support of some kind of
extern "C++" feature so that you could mix C/C++ programs with for
instance a Java user interface. (Say you want to create a Visual AWK).

Rinie
[You sure can't fault C++ for a shortage of features. -John]