Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++

kik@zia.cray.com (Krishna Ksheerabdhi)
8 May 1996 00:27:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ Drinie@xs4all.nl (1996-05-04)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ roedy@BIX.com (Roedy Green) (1996-05-05)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ dw3u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel C. Wang) (1996-05-05)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ tmb@best.com (1996-05-06)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ albaugh@agames.com (1996-05-06)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ dodd@csl.sri.com (1996-05-06)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ brauch@hpp.stanford.edu (Rupert Brauch) (1996-05-06)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ kik@zia.cray.com (1996-05-08)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ billms@nixon.icsl.ucla.edu (1996-05-08)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ sal714@rs710.gsfc.nasa.gov (1996-05-08)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ bnm@indica.bbt.com (1996-05-10)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ mbk@caffeine.engr.utk.edu (1996-05-10)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ Drinie@xs4all.nl (1996-05-10)
Re: Java virtual machine as target language for C/C++ dean@psy.uq.oz.au (1996-05-10)

From: kik@zia.cray.com (Krishna Ksheerabdhi)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 May 1996 00:27:33 -0400

> From: Rupert Brauch <brauch@hpp.stanford.edu>
>
> There are a bunch of reasons why you wouldn't want to fly with Java.
> You may have existing code that you don't want to rewrite in Java.
> You may not be able to live with the overhead of interpreted code,
> etc.

Amen to the point about existing code that you want to 'move around',
but regarding 'overhead' - can't that be solved by a
compiler/translator that converts byte code to native code that takes
advantage of the underlying architecture? One could integrate that
several ways - on-the-fly in sync with the bytecode verifier [Franz's
thesis on semantic dictionary encoding (SDE) from ETH comes to mind]
or as a separate pass after the verification. I heard it from the
grapevine that Borland has such a product in the works. Could someone
authenticate that?

This should be possible shouldn't it, or am I missing something?

Curious,
ksh
----
Ksheerabdhi Krishna
Cray Research, Inc. Phone: (505) 988-2468 (x28)
Santa Fe, NM 87505 e-mail: kik@cray.com
[I may be an old grouch, but this is starting to smell like the UNCOL black
hole. Yes, you can turn your intermediate code into native code with some
amount of effort on some number of platforms, but the details always end
up killing you. -John]