Re: Trie algorithms? (Josef Grosch)
4 May 1996 23:22:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Trie algorithms? (Tim McDaniel) (1996-04-29)
Re: Trie algorithms? (1996-05-04)
Re: Trie algorithms? (1996-05-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Josef Grosch)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 May 1996 23:22:05 -0400

Tim McDaniel ( wrote:
: I'm looking for algorithms for quick matching of one of a set of fixed
: strings. ...

: What I'd like to do, though, is do something on each acceptance state.
: It's token replacement, where an N-character keyword must be replaced
: by an N-character replacement. ...

: [I'd just use flex, following some of the hints in the documentation to make
: lexers work faster. -John]

I agree with John - nearly every scanner generator such as flex or rex
should do the job. Especially when the set of keywords is large then I
would recommend rex from the Cocktail Toolbox. The reason is described

      J. Grosch, `Efficient Generation of Lexical Analysers',
      Software-Practice & Experience, 19, 1089-1103 (Nov. 1989).

Best regards

Josef Grosch