Re: YACC documentation tool - where to find (Steve Masticola)
22 Apr 1996 22:19:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
YACC documentation tool - where to find (1996-04-19)
Re: YACC documentation tool - where to find (1996-04-22)
Re: YACC documentation tool - where to find (1996-04-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Steve Masticola)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.unix.questions
Date: 22 Apr 1996 22:19:41 -0400
>I require a UNIX tool used to produce syntax documentation of a yacc
>source file so that users of a custom language would understand its
>syntax without having to create and maintain the docs by hand. I seem
>to remember seeing such a tool somewhere, but I don't recall where.

You may be thinking of yyref. It's a cross-referencer for Yacc
source. Look in:

The version I played with a couple of years ago had a couple of little

Interesting variant: An HTML- or Java-based cross-referencer for yacc
grammars (or programs in any other language). (It's possible, though
difficult, to do this in plain HTML, due to the fact that
cross-references are many-to-many relations. You'd wind up producing
one page for each referenced symbol, and O(n^2) links in the worst
case. Using CGI or Java to dynamically create the cross-reference
pages might be a better bet.)

- Steve (