Implement resumption model for exception handling?

wyrmok@plg.uwaterloo.ca (Russell Mok)
20 Apr 1996 23:46:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Implement resumption model for exception handling? wyrmok@plg.uwaterloo.ca (1996-04-20)
Re: Implement resumption model for exception handling? bill@amber.ssd.hcsc.com (1996-04-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: wyrmok@plg.uwaterloo.ca (Russell Mok)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++,comp.compilers
Date: 20 Apr 1996 23:46:41 -0400

In "The Design and Evolution of C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup(1994), there
is a chapter about exception. Stroustrup said the resumption model was
rejected because it is inefficient and of little use. He refered to
the Mesa project and Jim Mitchell's presentation. However, there is no
explicit reference in the book.

I DESPERATELY need to know why, in details. I read a paper on
Exceptional C by Gehani and he mentioned the implementation requires
cactus stack --- an implementation of multiple stack. He was brief and
I don't really understand his reasoning.

I have been thinking about the problem for a while and it seems to me
that resumption can be implemented reasonably efficiently with some
restrictions. However, I rather believe that I overlook some crucial
issues than I am right.

If you think you can help, please drop me an email.

Thanks a bundle.

Russell

--
Russell Mok