Lost Cobol source

derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
19 Apr 1996 12:14:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need decompiler for veryyy old code.... PROCUNIERA@ucfv.bc.ca (Arlene Procunier) (1996-04-18)
Lost Cobol source derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-04-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Apr 1996 12:14:20 -0400

All,

> Currently I am undertaking to modify some very old IBM code (at least
> 20 years old. I believe that the code is either Assembler or Cobol.
>
> Arlene Procunier
> [Turning object code back into assembler is relatively
> straightforward. Turning it back into Cobol is pretty close to
> impossible. -John]

One of the objections raised against the adoption of the Cobol 85
standard was that it might invalidate code that had been lost and then
found after the standard was published.

Does this mean the same objection might be raised against the next
release of the Cobol standard :-(

derek

--
Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667