Re: Functional languages (Jon Mountjoy)
11 Apr 1996 23:37:58 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Functional Languages (J.A. Eccleston) (1992-10-09)
Re: Functional Languages (1992-10-10)
Functional languages (1996-04-06)
Re: Functional languages (1996-04-08)
Re: Functional languages (1996-04-10)
Re: Functional languages (1996-04-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Jon Mountjoy)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Apr 1996 23:37:58 -0400

In 96-04-056 writes:

>There is another book by the same author (Simon L Peyton Jones):
> The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages

>In my opinion, anybody who wants to implement functional language must
>also read Introduction to Functional Programming by Richard Bird &
>Philip Wadler.

>One question: Is there any published C/C++ implementation of P Jones'
>'kernel' (free of charge, of course :-) ? I forget what he named it
>but I sure would like to mess with it.

>In the book he implemented it using a functional language. Typical,
>and illustrative of the power of the implementation language. But it
>deprives many readers who do not have the bootstrap language (and too
>busy/lazy to translate it into another).

I don't think he deprives many readers at all. The sources for the
book (the compiler) are available in both Miranda and Gofer. The Gofer
versions run on the gofer interpreter, which is freely available and
which compiles on many many platforms. Pretty soon, the new Haskell
will look quite similar to Gofer, in which case you will have a compiler

                            Jon Mountjoy - -