Re: How to port gcc?

nr@cs.purdue.edu (Norman Ramsey)
11 Apr 1996 23:23:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
How to port gcc? rabagley@isdn33.eng.uc.EDU (Ross Bagley) (1996-04-10)
Re: How to port gcc? nr@cs.purdue.edu (1996-04-11)
Re: How to port gcc? sal714@rs710.gsfc.nasa.gov (1996-04-28)
How to port gcc? bill.williams@gecm.com (R.A.L Williams) (1996-05-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nr@cs.purdue.edu (Norman Ramsey)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Apr 1996 23:23:40 -0400

Ross Bagley <rabagley@isdn33.eng.uc.EDU> wrote:
>I am interested in writing a new back-end for gcc (new processor
>architecture+instruction set), but lack sufficent knowledge. Can
>anyone help?

I can help by steering you from gcc to lcc. lcc is far easier to
retarget; unless you really need global optimization you will be much
better off. Get the book by Fraser and Hanson (A Retargetable C
Compiler).

>Along the same vein, can someone clarify for me where to locate the
>information to retarget the GNU assembler?

You might check out the NJ Machine-Code Toolkit, which offers support
for building the machine-dependent parts of assemblers and linkers. I
have a student working on building a retargetable family of
assemblers, so there's a chance that by the summer he'll have produced
something useful.

URLS:
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/nr/toolkit