Parsing equations (Patrick D. Parker)
22 Mar 1996 00:39:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing equations (1996-03-22)
Re: Parsing equations (Dwight VandenBerghe) (1996-03-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Patrick D. Parker)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Mar 1996 00:39:48 -0500

I am looking for tools or examples to help implement a spreadsheet-like
equation parser for an internal application we need to write. We need to
handle arbitrary nesting and complexity... everything from

A1 + B1 / C1

((0.75 + RAND() * 0.5) * AVERAGE($A3:$A19)) / (1 + LN( MAX(C3:C19) ) )

[thanks to MS Excel for the syntax model]

The initial home for this will be on Macs using Metrowerks Codewarrior C++
and PowerPlant. I'm looking for lex and yacc tools, source code or class
library examples for share or purchase, or any other references. Thanks
for any help...

Patrick Parker
[It's certainly been done a thousand times, but it's be nice to have a
documented expression parser packaged up and ready to go. -John]