Re: Source for compiler using yacc/lex wanted

nandu@longs.att.com (131AC0000-SankaranN(DR3120)214)
15 Mar 1996 23:53:18 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Source for compiler using yacc/lex wanted platon!fauzan@uunet.uu.net (1996-03-05)
Re: Source for compiler using yacc/lex wanted Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk (1996-03-08)
Re: Source for compiler using yacc/lex wanted pjj@cs.man.ac.uk (1996-03-08)
Re: Source for compiler using yacc/lex wanted nandu@longs.att.com214) (1996-03-15)
Re: Source for compiler using yacc/lex wanted theedge@sun11.rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (1996-03-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: nandu@longs.att.com (131AC0000-SankaranN(DR3120)214)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Mar 1996 23:53:18 -0500

    |> I'm writing a code beautifier program (ie, something similar to
    |> indent(1))

[snip]

    |> [I actually think that lex and yacc are lousy tools to use for a pretty
    |> printer, because they throw too much information away. It's not really
    |> a compiling problem, it's more of a pattern matching problem. -John]

Wonder why you feel they throw away a lot of information. I wrote a
BibTeX beautifier last year using Lex and Yacc and it turned out
ok. Is it just that the formats for BibTeX entries are not as
complicated as those you had in mind?

Nandakumar Sankaran
nandu@longs.att.com
[Bibtex is indeed a pretty simple language compared to C. -John]