Internal code of GCC G77 (questions)
10 Mar 1996 01:01:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Internal code of GCC G77 (questions) (1996-03-05)
Re: Internal code of GCC G77 (questions) (1996-03-08)
Internal code of GCC G77 (questions) (1996-03-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Mar 1996 01:01:07 -0500
>- what is "obstack" ??
>( I don't even know what it means in english .. I am french :)

An obstack is a stack of objects. Basically obstacks are used as a
form of memory management which is in appropriate situations can be
more efficient and less difficult than malloc/free. See obstack.h.

>- what is bytecode ?
>very often, the compiler is using a different way, in case of
>byte_code is asked , but I don't know what it is.

GNU C can generate either (1) assembly code, which is passed to the
assembler to generate machine code, or (2) byte code, i.e. code for a
virtual machine, which can be interpreted by a byte-code interpreter.
>From what I understand, the support for byte code in gcc is not yet
complete -- in particular, I don't think anyone has written the
byte-code interpreter yet.

Fergus Henderson WWW: PGP: finger fjh@