Re: Basic Blocks

Ashish Ashtekar <>
8 Mar 1996 19:21:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Basic Blocks (1996-03-06)
Re: Basic Blocks (Ashish Ashtekar) (1996-03-08)
Re: Basic Blocks (1996-03-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ashish Ashtekar <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Mar 1996 19:21:27 -0500

Bonifacic Dusan wrote:
> I am looking for an algorithm that will give me basic blocks for a
> given C++ code. I am not sure if I can specify in g++ to produce an
> intermediate code which could then be broken in basic blocks or maybe
> there is even an compiler option that will compile code to some
> intermediate code which is broken in basic blocks.

This might sound like a wierd suggestion. The stanford University has
a compiler group which wrote a compiler sytem called SUIF. One of the
objective of this system is to provide the user a way to optimize code
( C or Fortran). The system has a kernel which stores the program's
intermediate rep. & has C++ interface functions to manipulate the data
in the kernel.

But you have to look for some way to convert C++ to C, which can be
passed to the SUIF system.

SUIF - Stanford University's Intermediate form
(for details -- )

- Ashish.
Ashish Ashtekar

email :- WWW :-
----- ---
1. http ://
[Well, there's always cfront to turn C into C++, but I'm not sure I'd want
to try and make sense of its output. -John]