Re: Internal code of GCC G77 (questions) (Greg K. Maier)
8 Mar 1996 00:11:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Internal code of GCC G77 (questions) (1996-03-05)
Re: Internal code of GCC G77 (questions) (1996-03-08)
Internal code of GCC G77 (questions) (1996-03-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Greg K. Maier)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Mar 1996 00:11:31 -0500
>- what is "obstack" ??

An obstack is a stack of data items which is grown dynamically. The
obstack code provides C language macros which take care of memory
allocation and management for you. These macros are supposed to be
useful for handling data items that grow for a while, then reach a
final form (e.g. a word assembled letter by letter). I've seen
obstack used in ELI code that I've worked with.

>- what is bytecode ?
>very often, the compiler is using a different way, in case of
>byte_code is asked , but I don't know what it is.

Not sure about this, but usually bytecode is a representation of a
program, translated to some low-level form and compacted into
byte-units of storage.

>- Is there place where I can find information about internal code of
>GCC and G77 . I know that there are some info in gcc-info.* and README
>file, but maybe there is a Web about internal code of GCC (maybe I'm
>dreaming .... :)

A Lycos search of "GCC Internals" turned up this URL: From there click on GCC-2.7.0 and there is
some mention of RTL Representation, Machine Descriptions, and Target
Description Macros.