Parallel Algol68 compiler (Alex Colvin)
27 Feb 1996 23:26:30 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Algol68 compiler ? (1996-02-19)
Re: Algol68 compiler ? (1996-02-23)
Parallel Algol68 compiler (1996-02-27)
Re: Parallel Algol68 compiler (1996-03-01)
Re: Parallel Algol68 compiler (Henry Spencer) (1996-03-01)
Re: Parallel compilers (Michael Parkes) (1996-03-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Alex Colvin)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Feb 1996 23:26:30 -0500

To combine a couple of threads here...

There was a multitasked Algol68 (pre-revised Report) written at
Dartmouth in the early 70s by Sidney Marshall. As far as I know it
never was used in production.

I don't know what the multitasking did for it, other than run the
integrated debugger. It's possible to get some overlap in compilation

Early Un*x compilers ran as a number of processes connected by pipes.
Although this was largely due to address space limits, I suppose it
might allow some overlap of analysis and I/O.

Unfortunately, it looks like C requires that the lexer and declaration
semantics be carefully synchronized, limiting the potential
Alex Colvin