Re: Small C Cross Compiler

skyvis@shell.portal.com (Richard P Cornwell)
27 Feb 1996 16:30:26 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Small C Cross Compiler sun@titan.np.ac.sg (1996-02-16)
Re: Small C Cross Compiler baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl (1996-02-21)
Re: Small C Cross Compiler fastyeald@cix.compulink.co.uk (1996-02-23)
Re: Small C Cross Compiler skyvis@shell.portal.com (1996-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: skyvis@shell.portal.com (Richard P Cornwell)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 27 Feb 1996 16:30:26 -0500

Sunarto (sun@titan.np.ac.sg) wrote:
: I need an C Cross Compiler for NEC 78k310a micro controller

baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl wrote:
> Try getting hold of the Sozobon compiler for the Atari ST. It was
> reasonably straight forward to retarget this for a different
> processor. It is K&R C and does not do a lot of optimization.

I would recommend CVW C compiler which can be picked up from the Minix
archives. I looked at Sozobon C Compiler serval years ago and found
that it is very tied to the 68000 machine. CVW C compiler has back
ends for the 68000 and 386, supports prototypes, ANSI C, optimization
(on the 386 it is very good). I did a retarget from the 68000 to the
386 in a few weeks when the compiler was first released, and was going
to send it to the author when he released his version. I ran a Minix
box for 2+ years totaly compiled with CVW C with very few crashes, had
a UUCP link and small news feed.

The compiler works by reading the source into a tree, preforming
optimizations on the tree. Then it does a register allocation pass and
hands the tree off to the backend. The back end is a collection of
functions that reduce the nodes and build a linked list of machine
instuctions. This is then passed off to a peephole optimized which
removed dead code, backs up branches, and other simple optimizations,
then the code is output.

Send Email if you can't find the CVW C compiler and I will did it out
of my archives and email it to you. But it may take a few weeks to
find the latest version.

Rich

Richard & Kim Cornwell skyvis@shell.portal.com
Sky Vision Kites http://www.portal.com/~skyvis