Inlining in Modula II

Darius Blasbans <>
23 Feb 1996 18:29:46 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Inlining in Modula II (Darius Blasbans) (1996-02-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Darius Blasbans <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Feb 1996 18:29:46 -0500

Dan Ash wrote:
> Do any of the current compilers do the following?
> If a function is called from only one place does the compiler in-line
> the code.

A rather old Modula II compiler, originally by StonyBrooks did this,
but with mixed results. After a while, we discarded this feature
because it did not interact very gracefully with other goodies
provided by this compiler.

In the meantime, this compiler became Logitech V4 compiler, but I
don't know whether this inlining feature was still present, or whether
it had been removed.

Well, of course, considering only "current" compilers... How current
is Modula II anyway...