Re: AWK to "C" translator

mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (Marc Wachowitz)
23 Feb 1996 00:24:25 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
AWK to "C" translator kirk.reisinger@Bentley.COM (Kirk Reisinger) (1996-02-21)
Re: AWK to "C" translator colas@aye.inria.fr (1996-02-23)
Re: AWK to "C" translator mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (1996-02-23)
Re: AWK to "C" translator amnonc@mercury.co.il (Amnon Cohen) (1996-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de (Marc Wachowitz)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Feb 1996 00:24:25 -0500

Kirk Reisinger (kirk.reisinger@Bentley.COM) wrote:
> We need to speed up out current AWK program because it now takes
> 3 hours to complete with the added info comming through.

In case you didn't know mawk (available by ftp on oxy.edu) yet: it's
much faster than other awk implementations (standard awk on some
Unix-variants and gawk). It generates an internal byte code, which can
also be listed - this might give some hints for improvement, or
possibly serve as starting point for translation to C. Of course,
whether that helps much depends on the real bottleneck of your
particular problem.

                                Marc Wachowitz <mw@ipx2.rz.uni-mannheim.de>