Re: implementing multiple inheritance?

Darius Blasband <>
19 Feb 1996 16:06:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
implementing multiple inheritance? (Larry Rau) (1996-02-19)
Re: implementing multiple inheritance? (Darius Blasband) (1996-02-19)
Re: implementing multiple inheritance? (1996-02-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Darius Blasband <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Feb 1996 16:06:52 -0500

>Can someone provide pointers to papers/books describing methods used
>to implement Mulitple Inheritance. I'm mostly curious about C++
>specifics but would be happy to read about others.

The best paper I had read about this topic was related to the ability
to implement a reasonably safe GC in C++, retaining the compatibility
with existing code. It did explain how the current implementations of
C++ managed multiple inheritance. Unfortunately, I cannot find the
original reference back. I think it was written by someone from DEC,
and the title was:

Safe & Efficient Garbage Collection in C++

Hope it helps...

[, by David Detlefs and my old buddy John Ellis. I found it in about 10
seconds using Altavista. -John]