Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM)

kdm@Rational.COM (Kent Mitchell)
13 Feb 1996 00:26:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) root@linux_pc.org (1996-02-03)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) tmb@best.com (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) bobduff@world.std.com (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) truesoft!sw@uunet.uu.net (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-02-09)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) eachus@spectre.mitre.org (1996-02-09)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) kdm@Rational.COM (1996-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kdm@Rational.COM (Kent Mitchell)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java,comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 13 Feb 1996 00:26:02 -0500

Henry Baker (hbaker@netcom.com) wrote:
> I asked the Rational people several times (at a TriAda show) about
> the Rational (Ada) machine, and was told it never did have any kind
> of GC, but simply got rebooted from time to time when it ran out of
> memory.

I don't know who you talked to but this is not exactly an accurate
statement of fact. It is true that Delta (Rational OS on its home
built software) never had realtime GC but it did do garbage collection
at least once a day which was about how often it needed to do this to
support normal work loads. It was a trade off of the time to do the
GC vs. the performance of the system. Since it was only being used to
develop software and not launch missles, it was a reasonable choice.

In many respects the Rational OS and hardware were very different
beasts from any standard hardware platforms. In fact, at the time
that Rational built the software and hardware it was the only way we
could have supported our environment. I will readily admit that we
were slow to jump on the Wave of new High power RISC processors and
continued with our own hard ware for too long but we're past that now.

--
Kent Mitchell
Technical Consultant