Re: Link time optimizations

richard@atheist.tamu.edu (Richard Henderson)
13 Feb 1996 00:05:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Link time optimizations jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1996-02-09)
Re: Link time optimizations jaidi@ubd.edu.bn (1996-02-10)
Re: Link time optimizations richard@atheist.tamu.edu (1996-02-13)
Re: Link time optimizations jaidi@ubd.edu.bn (1996-02-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: richard@atheist.tamu.edu (Richard Henderson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Feb 1996 00:05:48 -0500

Nor Jaidi <jaidi@ubd.edu.bn> wrote:
>> ... Normally all compilers generate a jump PC relative instruction
>> that generates no relocation or fixup... Invisible damm it!
[...]
>I wonder how Topspeed linker does it.

I don't know about Topspeed, but the OMF object format used by most
DOS/Windows compilers allows for initialized common blocks. Function
level link optimization can be done by putting each function in its
own common block.

This also takes care of the original poster's question about what to
do about pc-relative calls without relocations -- in this case the
compiler is forced to emit the relocation info.

r~