Re: Where is flex++ & bison++?

Alain Coetmeur <coetmeur@icdc.fr>
9 Feb 1996 16:52:13 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Where is flex++ & bison++? coetmeur@icdc.fr (Alain Coetmeur) (1996-02-09)
Re: Where is flex++ & bison++? schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (1996-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Alain Coetmeur <coetmeur@icdc.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++.moderated,comp.compilers
Date: 9 Feb 1996 16:52:13 -0500

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> I looked in the FAQ and could find no reference to Bison ++ and
> Flex++. The regular bison and flex are OK, I suppose, but they would
> not use C++ style I/O.

As far I know (not much) flex2.4 has a simple and efficient support
for C++ that consists of writing a C++ class header, while flex2.4 (and
up) just write a method. You should be able to use any i/o flavor
including iostreams...

flex++2.3.*-* (that I've written 2 years ago with bison++1.21-*) is
much more complex and uses preprocessor like feature... it works, it
is much customizable but it it too much complex... I really should
have used a scheme like flex2.4 for fle++ and bison++ (regrets!)

> { Flex++ is a lexical analyzer generator and Bison++ a parser
> generator. Both generate C++ code and are distributed under the
> GNU licence. -mod } right. they are also derived from flex2.3 and
> bison1.21 ..
> Can someone direct me to an FTP directory?

there was one at ftp.th-darmstadt.de, but I've received query that
make me think it is no more there. it were also on a FTP server
around cse.unl.edu, but I've no more info. try at our Web server (we
don't have a ftp server on our gatekeeper) http://www.icdc.fr/ and
follow the links ... (/ftp is mapped to the old ftp directory)

> Incidently, this should probably be in the faQ.

I agree. Much more info should also be proposed. anyway read the
news:comp.compilers FAQ and relatives.

I think flex++2.3.*-* and bison++1.*-* are not the best choice since
they are not standard and are no more really supported by me since
I've much work here (icdc.fr).

look for bison-A1 for a bison C++ support
see also for PCCTS (news:comp.compilers.pccts).
look for flex2.4 nd up for a flex C++ support
look for commercial products liek YACC++
tell us about some

flex2.4 and up is in my opinion a very good solution. anyway like
many peoples I'm demanding for a good c++ support for bison.

- --
Alain Coetmeur, Informatique-CDC, (coetmeur@icdc.fr)
http://www.icdc.fr/
            [ Comments? mailto:c++-request@netlab.cs.rpi.edu ]