Re: Ada GC (Hans Boehm)
9 Feb 1996 12:06:11 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[9 earlier articles]
Re: Ada GC (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC (Ken & Virginia Garlington) (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC rogoff@sccm.Stanford.EDU (1996-02-09)
Re: Ada GC lph@SEI.CMU.EDU (1996-02-09)
Re: Ada GC (1996-02-09)
Re: Ada GC (1996-02-10)
[7 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Hans Boehm)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 9 Feb 1996 12:06:11 -0500
>... (We may well see the same thing
>happen to C++ someday, although the technical problems are a bit more
>difficult for C++. I don't think much of the so-called "conservative"
>GC schemes -- especially for real-time.)

I have yet to hear anyone advocate conservative garbage collection for
hard real-time problems. Nonetheless, if I understand this correctly,
a language implementation that provided a conservative garbage
collector would still be no less usable for real-time programming than
current implementations, since such programs could continue to ignore
the language provided allocator, and provide their own.

Needless to say, I do believe that conservative GC is a reasonable
option for many non-real-time applications ...

Hans-J. Boehm