Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM)

root@linux_pc.org (root)
3 Feb 1996 12:22:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) dewar@cs.nyu.edu (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) mg@asp.camb.inmet.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-02-02)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) root@linux_pc.org (1996-02-03)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) tmb@best.com (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) bobduff@world.std.com (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) truesoft!sw@uunet.uu.net (1996-02-04)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) boehm@parc.xerox.com (1996-02-09)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) eachus@spectre.mitre.org (1996-02-09)
Re: Ada GC (was about Java VM) kdm@Rational.COM (1996-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: root@linux_pc.org (root)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java,comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 3 Feb 1996 12:22:42 -0500

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker) writes:
>Let's see, RT GC has now been around for almost 20 years (Wadler's
>CACM paper was published in Sept. 1976 and my MIT AI working paper was
>published in 1977 and received wide distribution). There have been

  I'm just a lowly grunt who develops & maintains embedded real-time
app's in Ada, but ...

It is real tough to sell runtime GC in safety-critical app's, period!
The perception amongst the customers (& I agree with them) is that if
you can't model the system well enough to build it without!!! GC, then
you don't understand the system well enough to build it at all!

You can take all kinds of shortcuts if you're building a spreadsheet
program or a network-server or some such where if the system crashes
once in awhile, you just reboot or whatever and tell the customers
"tough!" ... but that approach literally does not "fly" when airplane
control-movements & weapon-releases and such hang in the balance.

I program a little in c & c++, and it's real nice to be able to have
the RTS manage memory ... but if ever there came along a
safety-critical customer who allowed an off-the-shelf RTS to manage
memory, I'd "launch" off to another job in my reliable little GC-free
Ada-powered jet!

                                                                                                    imho