Safety and power in languages

truesoft!sw@uunet.uu.net (Steve Witham)
2 Feb 1996 15:09:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Possible to write compiler to Java VM? (I volunteer to summarize) seibel@sirius.com (Peter Seibel) (1996-01-17)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? ncohen@watson.ibm.com (1996-01-29)
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-01-30)
Safety and power in languages truesoft!sw@uunet.uu.net (1996-02-02)
Re: Safety and power in languages bobduff@world.std.com (1996-02-04)
Re: Safety and power in languages salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-02-09)
Re: Safety and power in languages truesoft!sw@uunet.uu.net (1996-02-09)
Re: Safety and power in languages mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (1996-02-12)
Re: Safety and power in languages fabre@gr.osf.org (Christian Fabre) (1996-02-13)
Re: Safety and power in languages eachus@spectre.mitre.org (1996-02-13)

From: truesoft!sw@uunet.uu.net (Steve Witham)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java,comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 2 Feb 1996 15:09:48 -0500

Security and safety in computers are a kind of negative power: by
allowing less, you know more about what a program will do, without
having to know or think as much about the program.

Daniel J. Salomon <salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>I would bet that a lot of the code that you wrote and was rejected by
>an Ada compiler was not that illogical or unsafe. I bet that most of
>it was actually pretty reasonable.

This seems to ignore what the guy said. *He* felt they were real bugs.

>Ada's philosophy seems to be, "When in doubt, forbid it." As a
>result, a programmer can spend a lot of time turning sensible safe
>code into code that religiously observes all of Ada rules.

Isn't it easier to think in a language from the start instead of
starting from an illegal program and "turning [it] into" a legal
program?

There are ideas of safety that appeal to generals, professors and
managers, and there are ideas of safety that apply to programmers.
Unfortunately the sets overlap, so some programmers think that some
good ideas are fascist, religious, pedantic, etc. Some people find
liberating ideas oppressive.

>C's philosopy seems to be, "When in doubt, permit it. It just might
>be correct." The freedom that this gives programmers to create new
>ways of solving problems may be one of the reasons that C remains so
>popular, despite the fact that it it unquestionably unsafe.

Lots of garbage is popular. Isn't the question what's better?

  --Steve
P.S. I guess Ada is more popular with generals than programmers.