Re: Ada syntax
1 Feb 1996 21:42:39 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Possible to write compiler to Java VM? (1996-01-30)
Re: Ada syntax (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada syntax ddavenpo@redwood.DN.HAC.COM (1996-02-01)
Re: Ada syntax (Ken & Virginia Garlington) (1996-02-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.ada
Date: 1 Feb 1996 21:42:39 -0500

Daniel J. Salomon said:
> I would bet that a lot of the code that you wrote and was rejected by
> an Ada compiler was not that illogical or unsafe. I bet that most of
> it was actually pretty reasonable.

      My experience has often been that the way I was trying to do
something was in fact dumb, and I'm glad the compiler forced me to
think about it harder. YMMV

> ... Ada's philosophy seems to be, "When in doubt, forbid it." ...
> C's philosopy seems to be, "When in doubt, permit it. ...

    C to me is like a second grade teacher, enthusiastically encouraging
whatever the student manages to produce. Ada is more like a fourth
grade teacher, sternly taking off points for every error.