Re: LL(1) and common-heads...

mparks@oz.net (Michael Parkes)
12 Jan 1996 17:25:22 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LL(1) and common-heads... p8uu@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (1995-12-28)
LL(1) and common-heads... deakjahn@ludens.elte.hu (Gabor DEAK JAHN) (1995-12-30)
Re: LL(1) and common-heads... mparks@oz.net (1996-01-12)
Re: LL(1) and common-heads... d.sand@ix.netcom.com (1996-01-14)
Re: LL(1) and common-heads... Osman.Buyukisik@ae.ge.com (U-E59264-Osman Buyukisik) (1996-01-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mparks@oz.net (Michael Parkes)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 1996 17:25:22 -0500

p8uu@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca says...
> Hi all, I've written an actual assembler for this new OS that
>a bunch of us are trying to get off the ground (originally from
>r.g.p.). Anyhow, the assembler works fine, but I'm not using any
>parsing algorithms like LL(1) or SLR. I was wondering if it would be
>of any use writing it using LL(1). Or would anyone suggest a better
>algorithm?

Hi,

It looks to me like you are using the wrong tool for the job. If
I understand you correctly this is a semantic problem and should be dealt
with as such. Try using and attribute grammar that supports 'sparse'
tables. This will allow you to define the valid semantic mappings and
will vastly simplify the syntax processing. The basic job should only
require about 2,000 lines.

Regards,

Mike