Re: Intermediate Code Optimizations

Steven Novack <snovack@justright.ICS.UCI.EDU>
28 Dec 1995 12:01:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Intermediate Code Optimizations sby@cs.usask.ca (S.Bharadwaj Yadavalli) (1995-12-22)
Re: Intermediate Code Optimizations dimock@das.harvard.edu (1995-12-28)
Re: Intermediate Code Optimizations snovack@justright.ICS.UCI.EDU (Steven Novack) (1995-12-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Steven Novack <snovack@justright.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Dec 1995 12:01:53 -0500

"S.Bharadwaj Yadavalli" <sby@cs.usask.ca> writes:

>2. The classical optimizations such as dead code elimination,
> jump elimination, common subexpression evaluation and so on,
> *seem* adhoc ( given my very limited comprehension). Has there
> been any effort to provide some sort of a frame-work to these
> optimizations ?

Hi,

Thanks for giving me an excuse to plug one of my papers: ;-)

@incollection{ms,
          AUTHOR = {S. Novack and A. Nicolau},
          BOOKTITLE = {Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing},
          PUBLISHER = {Springer-Verlag},
          TITLE = {Mutation Scheduling: A Unified Approach to Compiling
for Fine-Grain Parallelism},
          YEAR = {1994}
}

This paper presents a technique for combining instruction
scheduling, code selection and register allocation into a
unified framework in which trade-offs between the functional,
register, interconnect and memory bandwidth resources of the
target architecture can be made "on the fly" during scheduling

Though not explicitly presented in terms of providing a
framework for performing "classical" optimizations, Mutation
Scheduling does have the effect of performing many classical
optimizations (e.g., scheduling, CSE, strength reduction, etc),
within a unified framework in which trade-offs inherent to
performing these trade-offs can be made. This differs
significantly from the conventional approach in which the the
different types of optimization are ordered and applied
separately, thus severely limiting the ability to make meaningful
trade-offs.

If you are interested in taking a look at it, the Mutation
Scheduling paper is available on-line in Postscript format at:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~snovack/papers/ms/ms.ps

Cheers,
Steve

snovack@ics.uci.edu