Intermediate Code Optimizations

"S.Bharadwaj Yadavalli" <sby@cs.usask.ca>
22 Dec 1995 00:16:02 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Intermediate Code Optimizations sby@cs.usask.ca (S.Bharadwaj Yadavalli) (1995-12-22)
Re: Intermediate Code Optimizations dimock@das.harvard.edu (1995-12-28)
Re: Intermediate Code Optimizations snovack@justright.ICS.UCI.EDU (Steven Novack) (1995-12-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "S.Bharadwaj Yadavalli" <sby@cs.usask.ca>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Dec 1995 00:16:02 -0500
Return-Receipt-To: sby@cs.usask.ca

Two questions:

1. Is there a survey of the various Code Optimizations that are
      done at the IR level and beyond, in today's optimizing
      compilers ? Ofcourse, the dragon book does give good
      information about quite a few of them. I am looking for the
      more recent and (hopefully) practical code optimizations as
      well.

2. The classical optimizations such as dead code elimination,
      jump elimination, common subexpression evaluation and so on,
      *seem* adhoc ( given my very limited comprehension). Has there
      been any effort to provide some sort of a frame-work to these
      optimizations ?

I request the knowledgeable readers of this newsgroup to kindly
"point me to the pointers" from where I can get the above
information.

Thanks in advance.

Bharadwaj

S. Bharadwaj Yadavalli, Dept. of Computer Science,
e-mail: sby@cs.usask.ca University of Saskatchewan,
Ph: (306)-966-4743(O) Saskatoon, S7N 0W0 (Canada)
        (306)-653-1176(R) http://www.cs.usask.ca/grads/sby/