heuristic optimizations [was "Death by error checks."]

mcintosh@rice.edu (Nathaniel McIntosh)
19 Dec 1995 23:11:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Grammars for future languages schinz@guano.alphanet.ch (1995-10-22)
Re: Grammars for future languages sethml@dice.ugcs.caltech.edu (1995-11-21)
Re: Death by error checks. hbaker@netcom.com (1995-12-19)
heuristic optimizations [was "Death by error checks."] mcintosh@rice.edu (1995-12-19)
Why heuristic optimization is wrong. cef@geodesic.com (Charles Fiterman) (1995-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mcintosh@rice.edu (Nathaniel McIntosh)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Dec 1995 23:11:56 -0500

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker) writes:
|This is why a lot of the 'heuristic' optimizations found in compilers
|work mainly for the standard benchmarks and some of the compiler
|vendor's internal code, (or for some of the compiler vendor's most
|favored customers!), but are pretty much a waste of effort for nearly
|every one else.

I agree that there are many optimizations based on heuristics, and
that every heuristic will probably break down in certain situations.
I think it would probably be a mistake to do away with all
heuristic-based optimizations, however. A good global register
allocator would be one example of a optimization that I'd rather not
do without. Sure, it's based on heuristics, but the benefits greatly
outweigh the drawbacks (at least for most of the code I write).

I think that the reason why some optimizations fail so spectacularly
is that it's very difficult to develop "good" heuristics for them.
Loop unrolling is one example that springs to mind. A good heuristic
to determine how much and when to unroll is incredibly difficult to
develop. This doesn't seem to stop compiler writers, however, since as
you point out, even a sloppy implemenation will probably improve
performance for the SPEC benchmarks.

Nat
--
Nathaniel McIntosh | Department of Computer Science
mcintosh@cs.rice.edu | Rice University, Mail Stop 41