Re: looking for QuickBASIC decompiler

Scott Nicol <scott@infoadv.mn.org>
19 Dec 1995 14:17:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
looking for QuickBASIC decompiler DeJay@winthrop.slic.com (Michal & Mary Jane Rumsey) (1995-12-17)
Re: looking for QuickBASIC decompiler pardo@cs.washington.edu (1995-12-18)
Re: looking for QuickBASIC decompiler scott@infoadv.mn.org (Scott Nicol) (1995-12-19)
Re: looking for QuickBASIC decompiler tgm@netcom.com (1995-12-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Scott Nicol <scott@infoadv.mn.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Dec 1995 14:17:40 -0500

>[Despite many requests, I've never seen any reports of an x86
> decompiler that did anything useful. -John]

You might not need an x86 decompiler to decompile QuickBASIC. A "trick"
often used to compile "interpreted" languages is to create an executable
that consists of:

- the runtime portion of the interpreter
- an internal representation of the source code
- a loader that reads in the internal represenation and
fires up the runtime

My memory is a bit foggy here, but I believe that the original MS Basic
compiler did this, so there is a decent chance that QuickBASIC does this,
too.

The internal representation may be less difficult to decompile, since
the representation could be more specific to the source language. Of
course, if you can't find documentation on the internal representation,
that will add to the difficulty.

--
Scott Nicol email: scott@infoadv.mn.org
Information Advantage, Inc. work: (612) 820-3846