Re: Parsing C typedefs using yacc (Ken Walter)
10 Dec 1995 15:20:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing C typedefs using yacc (Andrew Dunbar) (1995-12-09)
Re: Parsing C typedefs using yacc (1995-12-10)
Re: Parsing C typedefs using yacc (1995-12-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Ken Walter)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 10 Dec 1995 15:20:19 -0500

Andrew Dunbar <> writes:
:>I'm trying to parse C using yacc but I've hit a problem with
:>typedefs. ...

That is one of the BIG problems with C/C++ declarations. They can look
like expressions unless you have feedback from previous declarations.
Nothing much you can do about it except accept the ambiguity.

Ken Walter
[At least one parser I've seen that didn't actually keep a symbol
table has used the ugly but fairly effective hack of presuming that
mystery tokens that start with a capital letter are typedef
names. -John]