Register allocation patent

preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs)
9 Dec 1995 19:17:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Register allocation patent stevec@pact.srf.ac.uk (1995-11-27)
Re: Register allocation patent preston@tera.com (1995-11-28)
Re: Register allocation patent burley@cygnus.com (1995-11-29)
Re: Register allocation patent wilken@garlic.ece.ucdavis.edu (1995-11-29)
Re: Register allocation patent wills@rchland.ibm.com (1995-11-30)
Register allocation patent preston@tera.com (1995-12-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Dec 1995 19:17:10 -0500

wills@rchland.ibm.com (William Schmidt)
>Incidentally, thanks to Preston Briggs, Rice University owns a dependent
>patent covering Briggs's optimistic coloring heuristics (modifications to the
>Chaitin technique). A company using his extensions needs to have an agreement
>in place with Rice.

Well, thanks rather to some Rice administrators and Rice's lawyers,
Rice owns a dependent patent covering a technique invented by Briggs,
Keith Cooper, Ken Kennedy, and Linda Torczon.

Please understand that I'm not complaining here; merely pointing out
that I worked with others who should not be ignored simply because my
last name begins with "B", and that I didn't push Rice to patent
anything.

We did argue for reasonable licensing terms (don't know what was
eventually decided). Keith suggested something like a nickel a compiler,
versus my rather greedier idea of a penny per compile :-)

>the optimistic coloring work was
>done partially with funding support from IBM.

Indeed. And we are all still grateful for the support and interest.

Preston Briggs