Re: Register allocation patent

burley@cygnus.com (Craig Burley)
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 16:54:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Register allocation patent stevec@pact.srf.ac.uk (1995-11-27)
Re: Register allocation patent preston@tera.com (1995-11-28)
Re: Register allocation patent burley@cygnus.com (1995-11-29)
Re: Register allocation patent wilken@garlic.ece.ucdavis.edu (1995-11-29)
Re: Register allocation patent wills@rchland.ibm.com (1995-11-30)
Register allocation patent preston@tera.com (1995-12-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: burley@cygnus.com (Craig Burley)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 16:54:37 GMT

preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs) writes:

      Well, it's still a patent and I would imagine IBM can enforce it. But
      recall that the existence of a patent doesn't prohibit anyone using
      the technique; instead, it means that commercial users need to obtain
      a license.

Talk to an experienced patent attorney before you accept the
above statement...or read a good text about patents. I believe
the existence of a patent _does_ prohibit everyone (in the nations
where the patent is in force) from using it except in very
limited circumstances (e.g. researching the patented algorithm,
as in work on a new version). In fact, I believe that anyone
using the algorithm by virtue of it being in a freely distributed
(say, public-domain) compiler would be infringing the patent, and
the distributor of the compiler would be at least contributing to
such infringement.

I'm pretty sure holders of patents have successfully shut down
the distribution of free-software packages by threatening legal
action in the past.

But don't assume I'm right, either -- talk to a patent attorney.
--

James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson burley@gnu.ai.mit.edu