Re: a tool for partial parsing?

mtimmerm@microstar.com (Matt Timmermans)
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:35:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
a tool for partial parsing? briank@leland.Stanford.EDU (1995-11-14)
Re: a tool for partial parsing? mtimmerm@microstar.com (1995-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: mtimmerm@microstar.com (Matt Timmermans)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:35:28 GMT

(briank@leland.Stanford.EDU (Brian E Korver))

| I'd like a version of (something like) yacc that will return and allow
| reentrance mid-parse. In other words, instead of having the parser
| drive the whole program, I want a front end to drive the parser.

Table-driven parsers, like those generated by yacc, naturally lend
themselves to running in a push-fed manner. If you look at the code
generated for yy_parse(), you'll find it relatively easy to rewrite in the
form yyparse(int token). We had to do this here for unmentionable reasons.

Further, the code generated for yy_parse() is always the same except, of
course, for the big switch statement that handles the actions. Depending
on your implementation of yacc, you should find this code stored simply as
a bunch of strings in the yacc source, which you can replace with your new
version.

</Matt>

Matt Timmermans | Phone: +1 613 727-5696
Microstar Software Ltd. | Fax: +1 613 727-9491
34 Colonnade Rd. North | BBS: +1 613 727-5272
Nepean Ontario CANADA K2E-7J6 | E-mail: mtimmerm@microstar.com