Re: Multi language programming

martelli@cadlab.it (Alex Martelli)
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 20:21:39 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Multi language programming guerin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (1995-11-03)
Re: Multi language programming martelli@cadlab.it (1995-11-12)
Multi language programming dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1995-11-13)
Re: Multi language programming guerin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (1995-11-17)
Re: Multi language programming shankar@engr.sgi.com (1995-11-20)
Re: Multi language programming Robert.Corbett@Eng.Sun.COM (1995-11-21)
Re: Multi language programming dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1995-11-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: martelli@cadlab.it (Alex Martelli)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 20:21:39 GMT

guerin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Frederic Guerin) writes:
>Can it be assumed that for a given modular language like C, FORTRAN, MODULA
>the naming and calling convention is unique for a given platform/machine ?

No; there have historically been many cases where more than one
Fortran compiler was available for a machine and they were not
equivalent from this POV (f77 and XL-Fortran on IBM 6150 boxes
in the late '80s-early '90s were the specific example I got my
first silvery hairs struggling with -- but the Fortran situation in
the DOS PC world around the same time was even more chaotic!).

>How A should be designed to handle such a situation ?

I would suggest named "attribute sets" allowing machine-specific
and compiler-specific descriptions of name mangling, parameter
passing conventions, etc. Look at the WATCOM C compilers that
are available for several PC-oriented OS's; their pragmas, at
least since release 9.0, are I think admirable in the flexibility
they offer in this respect, and they come with named descriptions
for some other languages/compilers one might need to interface to
(and the flexibility to add further descriptions for langs/comps
not included in the supplied named-sets).

Not an ideal solution, but this is far from an ideal situation
that one is struggling with...

Alex
--
Email: martelli@cadlab.it Phone: +39 (51) 597313
CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Ronzani 7/29, Casalecchio, Italia Fax: +39 (51) 597120