Cactus stack

Dave Lloyd <dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk>
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:12:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Who invented the cactus stack? M.D.Poole@ukc.ac.uk (mdp2) (1995-11-09)
Cactus stack dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1995-11-10)
Re: Cactus stack cjc1@ucs.cam.ac.uk (1995-11-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Dave Lloyd <dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:12:42 GMT

I would be interested in any references you unearth for this concept as we are
about to support this sort of parallelism in our Algol 68 and Fortran 90
compilers - particularly on transputers!

The earliest reference I know of is from the Simula67 language which used a
statically organised cactus stack to handle its co-routines. But I expect the
idea was around somewhat earlier. I'm not sure when the dynamically organised
cactus stacks first appeared but Algol68 is predicated on them! M. Griffiths
in the excellent book "Compiler Construction" (ed. Bauer and Eickel) describes
a heap based implementation but there is no specific reference in the biblio.

The occam style transformations and optimisations are well understood but I
have seen very little reference to the class of optimisations which allow the
general dynamic form to be reduced to a static form - at least local to some
scope. Can anyone point me to any useful references here?

Regards,
Dave Lloyd Email: Dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk
Oxford and Cambridge Compilers Ltd Phone: (44) 1223 572074
55 Brampton Rd, Cambridge CB1 3HJ, UK