Re: Yikes!!! New 200Mhz Intel P6 Benchmarks (Andy Glew)
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 07:32:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Yikes!!! New 200Mhz Intel P6 Benchmarks (1995-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Andy Glew)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 07:32:26 GMT

>Mark Hahn <> wrote:
>> [much deleted]
>>look folks, PDF is nothing magical, and it's certainly not the sole
>>reason that the P6 is showing up as so damned fast. PDF has been around
>>a long time - I think I first saw it on MIPS Rx000 compilers, circa
>>88 or so. PDF mostly just lets you predict branches a little better.
>Whatever it is in the compiler, it appears to have boosted the performance
>of the P5 as well. I haven't had a chance to check for myself, but it
>was said here that the P5 went from 155 to 190 SPECint92. Incidentally,
>the reported SPECint92 for the P6-150 MHz , 276 ~= 225 * 190/155
>where 225 was the reported SPECint92 for the chip in July.
>-arun gupta

Anecdote time: one of the most annoying things, as an architect
working with the compiler writers for P6, was that much of the time,
when we suggested a compiler optimization, intended to help P6, it
would often help P5 as well - often more than it helped P6!

Whattaya want to do: *NOT* improve the performance of your shipping

Andy "Krazy" Glew,, Intel,
M/S JF1-19, 5200 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Hillsboro, Oregon 97124-6497.
Place URGENT in email subject line for mail filter prioritization.