Re: Help with research on optimization techniques

preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs)
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:41:17 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help with research on optimization techniques abacus@acaps.CS.McGill.CA (1995-10-16)
Re: Help with research on optimization techniques preston@tera.com (1995-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@tera.com (Preston Briggs)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:41:17 GMT

abacus@acaps.CS.McGill.CA (Hisham PETRY) writes:

> I am requesting some assistance in researching my project,
>"While to For loop conversion". The motivation for this transformation
>is the fact that McGill has several optimizations for For loops that
>don't exist for While loops.

Lots of people do this, for exactly the same reason.
Not many papers about it though. One that comes to mind is

    author="Randy Allen and Steve Johnson",
    title="Compiling {C} for Vectorization, Parallelization, and Inline
                                  Expansion",
    pages="241--249",
    journal=sigplan,
    year=1988,
    month=jul,
    volume=23,
    number=7,
    note=pldi88

>proofs of loop equivalence,
>showing that in fact While loops are equivalent to For loops.

Well, it's trivial in C.

while (p) x;

is exactly equivalent to

for(; p; ) x;

Of course, this probably isn't very helpful to your compiler. I'd
think you'll want a more precise description of your target (i.e.,
just what sort of for loops are useful to the compiler). And then I
think you'll find that not every while loop can be converted into that
form.

Preston Briggs