Re: Re: C++ virtual function calls

Eric Gouriou <egouriou@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:46:44 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
C++ virtual function calls tim@franck.Princeton.EDU (1995-09-29)
Re: C++ virtual function calls (1995-10-14)
Re: Re: C++ virtual function calls egouriou@CS.UCLA.EDU (Eric Gouriou) (1995-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Eric Gouriou <egouriou@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:46:44 GMT

  David L Moore wrote:
  > (I threw in y so you can work on dynamic typing algorithms while
  > pretending to do optimization - if you only want to support single
  > dispatching you need to prove y is an x or else not pull that inline)
  > I have not seen any discussion of this in the literature. Indeed, I suspect
  > optimization of C++ is still a largely untapped field.

    It is perhaps true for C++, but it certainly doesn't hold for more
  advanced (should I say real :-) ?) OO languages.

    You should have a look at the research done on Self and Cecil:
  (and perhaps on Dylan at CMU in the following years)

    Very interesting sites for high-level optimizations techniques
  (as opposed to assembly level optimizations).

    Eric Gouriou