Help with research on optimization techniques

abacus@acaps.CS.McGill.CA (Hisham PETRY)
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 19:26:36 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help with research on optimization techniques abacus@acaps.CS.McGill.CA (1995-10-16)
Re: Help with research on optimization techniques preston@tera.com (1995-10-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: abacus@acaps.CS.McGill.CA (Hisham PETRY)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 19:26:36 GMT

Hello All,
I am requesting some assistance in researching my project,
"While to For loop conversion". The motivation for this transformation
is the fact that McGill has several optimizations for For loops that
don't exist for While loops. We would like to be able to optimize as
many loops as we can, including While loops.
My problem is that I can't find any previous work on this type
of source to source transformation. There are many papers on loop
detection, and Goto elimination, but nothing on While loop
transformations. I would be interested in any sources you could
recommend, or if anyone knows about proofs of loop equivalence,
showing that in fact While loops are equivalent to For loops.
Thank you in advance for any assistance provided,

Hisham Petry
abacus@cs.mcgill.ca